Olympia London20 Feb 2020
The Grand Plan is our strategy for championing green practice, connecting communities, and empowering our staff, service partners and event industry peers. It gives all those associated with the venue the opportunity to leave their mark on our iconic brand.
Working across three focus areas: Community, Education and Environment, the ultimate goal of The Grand Plan is to leave a positive impact through all that we do. In turn, securing Olympia London’s legacy as a destination for education, inspiration and entertainment for another 130 years and beyond.
Home to some of the world’s most iconic and prestigious events since 1886, Olympia London has, and always will be, a business that keeps people at its core. From building benches at local schools, to raising money for charity and protecting memories made at the venue through an archive programme, we are committed to understanding, supporting and raising awareness of our local community’s needs.
The Earls Court & Olympia Charitable Trust provides support to charities and organisations within the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, as well as the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Its primary focus is to benefit young people, with a particular emphasis on education, health and personal development. We welcome any application for funds to be considered by our trustees.
At Olympia London we believe that positive change and continued growth is most successfully driven through education and empowerment, not just for our own staff, but also our clients, service partners and the wider event industry.
We are passionate about sharing our 130+ years of event experience with professionals at every stage of their career. The Olympia London blog showcases thought leadership and insight from across the industry, members of our leadership team chair several Event Industry Alliance (EIA) and Association of Event Venues (AEV) working groups, and we are proud to have maintained a student placement programme for more than 15 years.
As one of the founders of the British Standard for Sustainable Event Management, Olympia London has always been at the forefront of event sustainability, and is dedicated to reducing and mitigating any negative impacts of our business. In fact, we played an instrumental role in developing ISO 20121 and were the first venue to be certified to this standard. The venue continues to be externally audited and certified.
We want to empower our organisers to make informed choices when it comes to the sustainability of their shows. We are the only venue to provide free sustainability reporting to help event organisers achieve targets and encourage greener practice; in addition to valuable industry insight.
With this focus on collaborative efforts, we are making meaningful progress in many areas; one being that 100% of our waste output is diverted from landfill, with 98% of it recycled at our local waste management plant and the remaining 2% being recovered as waste for energy.